This is a comforting bowl with something to offer everyone's palate: a combination of smokey and savory, plus sweet and fresh...oh, and a whole lotta veggies they'll never even notice.
When you serve up a pot of this goodness, don't forget to top everyone's bowl with those tasty bacon and green onion garnishes. [But there's no point in mentioning the 10.5 cups of veggies you're also serving up!]
8 slices bacon, chopped
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup diced carrot
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper
¼ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
2½ cups peeled and chopped (½–inch cubes) potato
3 cups corn, fresh or frozen and thawed
2 cups unenriched soy milk
¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup sliced green onion
1. In a large pot, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pot. Shoo away the onlookers.
2. To the same pot, add onion, carrot, garlic, bay leaf and thyme, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Sprinkle flour onto vegetables and stir for 1 minute. Add broth and potato and raise heat to medium-high. Let boil, stirring occasionally, until potato is just tender, about 8 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add corn and soy milk, stirring to thoroughly combine. Cover and simmer until corn softens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes more.
5. Stir in cheddar until melted. Check seasoning and adjust as needed. Serve hot, garnished with bacon and green onion.
Slyly Serves: 6 – 8
Get this and so many more healthy-but-stealthy recipes in the cookbook, Vegetables Accidentally [healthier...but none the wiser]. Pick up your copy today!
• • blog • • >