posted Apr 10, 2014, 5:57 PM by Merrin McGregor
updated May 14, 2014, 7:16 PM
[Hide & Leek Poppers]
Serve these crispy, savory bites with the cool and sweet mango dipping sauce, and you'll be sure to con a whole crowd of family and friends into gobbling up over 9 cups of fruit and veggies.
1½ cups chopped mango
½ cup plain unsweetened yogurt
¼ cup fresh cilantro
¼ teaspoon garam masala
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for cooking
4 cups thinly sliced leek
3 cups peeled and quartered potato
3/4 cup sliced green onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
I/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- First, prepare the sauce: Puree mango in a food processor. Add yogurt, cilantro, garam masala, salt and cayenne. Pulse to combine. Refrigerate until serving and avoid inquiry.
- Next, make the poppers (while working alone): Preheat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook leek, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 12 minutes. Let cool.
- Cook potato in boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, mash and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together leek, potato, onion, eggs, garam masala, turmeric, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined. Form mixture into 1½-inch balls (about 2 tablespoons each) and coat in bread crumbs.
- In a large pot, preheat 2 inches of oil to 350ºF. Fry poppers in batches until browned, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve poppers with dipping sauce and stand back!
Craftily Yields: about 36 poppers
Slyly Serves: a crowd!
Get this and so many more healthy-but-stealthy recipes in the cookbook, Vegetables Accidentally [healthier...but none the wiser]. Pick up your copy today!