posted Feb 1, 2015, 7:43 PM by Merrin McGregor
updated Feb 1, 2015, 8:44 PM
Red Velvet Pancakes
[To make your sweetie's
heart 'beet' faster!]
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 (15-ounce) can sliced beets, drained and rinsed (1 ¾ cups)
1 ½ cups unenriched soy milk
½ cup orange juice
½ cup sugar 3 tablespoons plain unsweetened yogurt 1 ½ tablespoons
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 drops red food coloring (optional)
butter, for cooking
4 cups raspberries or sliced strawberries
maple syrup, warmed
In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Make sure you’re alone in the kitchen. In a food processor, puree beets with soy milk until completely smooth. Add orange juice, eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, vanilla and food coloring (if using).
- Pulse to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring just until combined.
- Preheat griddle or large frying pan over medium heat.
- Melt enough butter on the griddle or pan to coat. Ladle batter onto the pan (about ¼ cup per pancake), cooking until golden, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve these unsuspecting pancakes topped with berries and maple syrup.
Craftily Yields : about 2½ dozen pancakes
Get more healthy-but-stealthy recipes in the cookbook, Vegetables Accidentally [healthier...but none the wiser]. Pick up your copy today!