posted May 14, 2014, 6:44 PM by Merrin McGregor
updated Jun 20, 2014, 9:30 AM
[Sweet Talk Scones]
These scones are a sly indulgence your family will ask you to make over and over again! They won't last long, so it's probably best to just go ahead and make a double batch.Use fresh berries or frozen: Either way you'll be baking up an irresistible treat that can be enjoyed any time of the year!
Go on ... Ingredients
2½ cups all-purpose flour
I /3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, chilled and cubed
¾ cup unenriched soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (do not thaw)
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten
2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture looks like large crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk together soy milk, vanilla and 1 egg. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll to form a 12x18-inch rectangle. Sprinkle berries evenly over the dough, pressing lightly into place to make sure none get away. Roll up to form a long log, keeping all the fruit and secrets securely inside.
- Transfer roll to prepared baking sheet and arrange in a circle, pinching ends together. Slice into 12 equal pieces and spread apart just enough to slightly enlarge the circle. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature (in the unlikely event that they have time to cool down).
Craftily Yields: 12 scones
Get this and so many more healthy-but-stealthy recipes in the cookbook, Vegetables Accidentally [healthier...but none the wiser]. Pick up your copy today!