posted Jan 10, 2015, 6:34 PM by Merrin McGregor
updated Jan 10, 2015, 6:40 PM
If you've made a new year’s resolution related to eating better or losing weight, you’re not alone. A majority of resolvers do! Whether you stick to your resolution or [like most people] don’t, you can still make some small-but-stealthy changes to treat yourself well in 2015.
Small steps go a long way! Yes, you’ve heard that before. But there’s no need to try so hard to make change. Why not try to pull the wool over on yourself by building a couple extra cups of fruits and veggies in every day...the accidental way.
Here are 15 small-but-scheming suggestions to start the new year off right:
- Add fresh blueberries or a few raisins to your bowl of cereal.
- Toss a few slices of mushrooms or bell pepper in the pan and fry an egg on top.
- Use hummus or baba ganoush as a dip instead of ranch dressing.
- Pack a piece of fresh fruit in your bag in case you need an afternoon snack.
- Spread your sandwich with something more flavorful than mayonnaise: try tapenade, roasted red pepper puree or guacamole.
- Build a taller burger by topping it up with all the available veggie toppings. Stack on the lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, and all your favorites!
- Add 100% fruit or veggie juice instead of water to add flavor to your sauces and soups.
- Shred a zucchini into your next pot of stew or soup. You won’t see or taste it in the end!
- Make your favorite meatball recipe, but throw in a couple cups of finely chopped onions, mushrooms and fresh herbs.
- Top a filet of fish with a fruit salsa. [Here’s some help to build your own.]
- Order bruschetta instead of garlic bread.
- Choose tomato sauce instead of alfredo sauce on your pasta.
- Double up the veggie toppings on your next pizza.
- Have a bloody mary with brunch.
- Indulge in a fruit-filled dessert! [Maybe strawberry tarts?]
Try a few of these ideas at home, at work and on the go. You’ll be increasing your fruit and veggie count without a second thought! Really, if you slip in the small sneaks, and you’ll get into the habit in no time...and you won’t suspect a thing!
And whether you’re resolving, or intending or really just hoping to treat yourself a little better this year, this list will set you on the right track.
Get more healthy-but-stealthy recipes and ideas i