24 (3-inch) unbaked tart shells
4 cups quartered strawberries
whipped cream (optional)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
2½ cups strawberries, mashed
1¼ cups sugar
1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place tart shells into 2 (12-cup) muffin pans. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Next, prepare the glaze: In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine mashed strawberries and sugar. Warm over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil and let cook, stirring frequently until thickened and translucent, about 6 minutes. The delicious smells will be drawing a crowd by now. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- It’s finally time to assemble the tarts: Place a spoonful of warm glaze into the bottom of each cooled tart shell. Fill generously with quartered berries. Top with more glaze to cover berries. Refrigerate until set, at least 1 hour.
- Serve with a dose of sly ingenuousness and a dollop of whipped cream (if using...and who wouldn’t?!).
Craftily Yields: 24 tarts